Friday, September 25, 2026

From “Maybe One Day” to 5K: Rachel’s Couch to 5K Journey

For years, I kept thinking, “Couch to 5K sounds good and I must give it a go.” Then another year would pass. When a new course appeared on the work internal communications, I nearly found another excuse but finally sent an email. Soon afterwards, the Couch to 5K lead replied with the course details. Eeeek! It was now or never.  I arrived at my first Health & Hustle session at Edward Jenner Court in Brockworth feeling nervous. I had travelled by bus from my work base in Southgate Moorings, Gloucester Docks, did not know anyone and was convinced I would be too unfit. What suprised me Instead was that I found a small, friendly and completely non-intimidating group. We began the first session with a 5 minute walk followed by short, manageable intervals. After my first 60-second run, I was amazed, I was neither breathless nor on the verge of collapse. By the end of the session, my beaming smile said it all, "I had loved it", and I would be back.  Each week, the programme increased gradually, helping me build fitness and confidence without feeling I had to compete with anyone else. I also discovered parkrun and began attending and completing the Saturday 5km event using that week’s run-and-walk intervals. It soon became part of my routine and gave me another supportive community to enjoy.  Then came week 5, the jump from eight-minute interval runs to 20 minutes without stopping. I worried about it all week because it seemed impossible. We set off, and I kept going. It was tough, but with encouragement from the Couch to 5K lead and the group, I reached the end. I cried with relief and joy. For the first time, I realised I was capable of far more than I had believed.

By graduation day, I had progressed to running continuously for 30 minutes. The final run was still hard, and I wanted to stop more than once, but the group kept me going. I crossed the line having run the full 5km and achieved a new personal best. The cheers, medal and certificate made it an emotional morning filled with pride, relief and gratitude.  Couch to 5K has given me much more than the ability to run. It has improved my fitness, confidence and self-belief, and introduced me to a wonderful community. I enjoyed it so much that I am doing the programme again and still attending parkrun. My recorded time has improved from 58 minutes 10 seconds to 39 minutes 6 seconds, more than 19 minutes faster.

If you are considering Couch to 5K, do not let worries about age, fitness or being the slowest hold you back. The programme starts gently, builds gradually and lets you progress at your own pace. I am 62, began convinced I could not run, and finished feeling proud of what I had achieved. Taking that first step was the hardest part and one of the best things I have done.


If you are thinking about giving Couch to 5K a try, go for it! You may surprise yourself, I certainly did.